Cullman County Board of Education, Alabama
- Main article: Evaluation of Alabama school district websites
- Financial information is posted, budget documents are not available.
- Some meeting agendas are posted and the meetings are included in the District calendar. Meeting minutes are not available.
- Contact information for the Board members is provided.
- Administrative officials contact information is provided.
- Salary schedules are posted. Employment procedures and links to applications are provided.
- Academic performance information is provided via a link to the Alabama State Department of Education reports for Cullman County.
- No tax information is available.
- Teacher and vendor contracts are not available. Vendor information can be found on the Alabama State website.
- No lobbyists are mentioned.
- There is no information about requesting public records under the Alabama Public Records Law; however, certain accounting records are disclosed on the website for public review.
- No audits are posted.
- Background check policies and procedures are not described.
Below are the school district board members:
|School board member||District|
|Steve Freeman||District 1|
|Danny Ray||District 2|
|Danny Alldredge||District 3|
|Sheila Kretzschmar||District 4|
|Wendy Crider||District 5|
|Randy Hasenbein||District 6|
|Jerry Schuman||District 7|
The current superintendent is Hank Allen.
Current Board of Education members include:
|Governor Bob Riley, President|
|Joseph B. Morton, State Superintendent of Education, Secretary and Executive Officer|
|Randy McKinney, Vice President||District 1||2nd||2013|
|Betty Peters||District 2||1st||2011|
|Stephanie Bell||District 3||2nd||2013|
|Dr Ethel H Hall, Vice President Emerita||District 4||2nd||2011|
|Ella B. Bell||District 5||2nd||2013|
|David F. Byers, Jr.||District 6||2nd||2011|
|Gary B. Warren||District 7||2013|
|Dr Mary Jane Caylor, President Pro Tem||District 8||2011|
Budget documents are not available on the district website.
Cullman County Board of Education voted in May to non-renew 11 teachers, following the laying-off of nearly 20 staff members earlier in the month. Reduction of funds from the state and dwindling local revenue necessitated elimination of staff and teachers to reduce spending. Six employee contracts also ended in May; the ending dates were built into their contracts in anticipating of the current funding gap.
In 2009, with a $5 million loss due to the reduction of the state budget, 45 teachers were cut to lessen expenses.
The Alabama Department of Education's Student Assessment Program tests students K – 12 in core content areas of reading, mathematics, language, and science, including specialist populations such as special education students and limited English proficient students. 
The Alabama Accountability Program sets Annual Measurable Objectives for schools and school systems. To achieve Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) toward system goals, schools must score at or above the set objectives and have at least a 95% participation rate amongst students. Students are tested in reading and mathematics. A school that misses AYP in the same area for two consecutive years is identified as In Improvement.
AYP results for the State of Alabama and Cullman County Schools are noted below. Results for individual schools within each district can be accessed through the Accountability Reporting Query System on the Alabama State Department of Education website.
State of Alabama Reading Scores 2009-2010 - Percent of Students in Each Achievement Level
|Grade||Level I||Level II||Level III||Level IV|
State of Alabama Math Scores 2009-2010 - Percent of Students in Each Achievement Level
|Grade||Level I||Level II||Level III||Level IV|
Level I - Does Not Meet Academic Content Standards.
Level II - Partially Meets Academic Content Standards.
Level III - Meets Academic Content Standards.
Level IV - Exceeds Academic Content Standards.
State of Alabama AYP Results 2009-2010
|State of Alabama|
- School District website
- Encyclopedia of Alabama - Cullman County
- GreatSchools.com - Cullman County
- EducationBug.org - Cullman County - Cullman, Alabama - Public School District
- Alabama State Department of Education official website
- ↑ School List
- ↑ Budget
- ↑ Board Agendas
- ↑ 'Cullman County Schools', Calendar, September 21, 2010
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Board members
- ↑ Central Office Staff
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 'Cullman County Schools', Accounting, September 21, 2010
- ↑ 'Cullman County Schools', Human Resources, September 21, 2010
- ↑ 'Cullman County Schools', Cullman County Schools Reports, September 21, 2010
- ↑ ‘The Official Website of the State of Alabama’, State Procurement, September 2, 2010
- ↑ ‘Alabama State Department of Education’, State Board of Education, September 1, 2010
- ↑ 'The Cullman Times', Proration, economy taking toll, County school board cuts 11 teachers, numerous stipends, September 21, 2010
- ↑ ‘Alabama State Department of Education’, Assessment and Accountability, September 1, 2010
- ↑ ‘Alabama State Department of Education’, Accountability Overview, September 2, 2010
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 15.2 15.3 Alabama Department of Education, "Accountability Reporting," retrieved September 7, 2010
- ↑ ‘Alabama State Department of Education’, Accountability Reporting Query System, September 7, 2010
- ↑ 'Alabama Education Association', September 2, 2010
- ↑ 'National Education Association', September 2, 2010