Monterey County is one of 58 counties in California. Salinas is its county seat.
- Main article: Evaluation of California county websites
- The names and contact information of all board of supervisor members is published.
- Board of supervisor meeting agendas and minutes are published.
- Information on contracts is available.
- Information on building codes and zoning is available.
- Audit reports are published.
- Information on taxes is provided.
- The current budget is published.
- Main article: California government sector lobbying
In 2008, Monterey County reported $125,000 spent on lobbying the federal government. 
For 2007 and 2008, the county spent $264,722 on lobbying the California legislature.