New Hanover County is one of 100 counties in North Carolina.
- Budget available.
- Building permits and zoning information available.
- County commissioners listed with contact information. Meeting schedule, minutes and agendas available.
- Administrative officials listed with contact information in directory.
- Financial audits available.
- Local tax information available.
Open records lawsuit
The Star-News made a Public Records request for the names, departments and salaries of public employees who were laid off by the county in April of 2009. New Hanover County officials refused to comply with the request, saying that they wanted to avoid embarrassing the people who had lost their jobs. The Star-News filed suit for the public records, and the judge hearing the case ordered the county to release the requested documents.