Seattle Public Schools, Washington
In response to the cuts to education in the FY2012 state budget, the district planned a one-day shut down on Aug. 31, 2011, prior to the start of the school year, and planned to close early on another day when school is in session. Employees will take the time as furlough days.
- Main article: Evaluation of Washington school district websites
Last rated on Jan. 2, 2013.
- The most current budget is listed.
- Budgets are archived back to 2007-2008.
- Administrative Officials
- Department heads are listed for each department.
- Contact information for administrative officials is provided including a mailing address, phone number, and personalized email.
- Elected Officials
- Elected officials are listed with a mailing address, phone number and personalized email.
- The most recent audit is posted.
- Audits dating back to 2005 are available.
- Public Records
- The public information officer is identified and maintained by the public records officer. This person provides a mailing address, phone number and personalized email.
- A public records form is provided.
- A fee schedule for documents is provided.
- Tax revenues are broken down by federal, state, and local funding in the budget.
- Local taxes, like property taxes, are available online.
- Academic performance reports for the school are posted online.
- Background Checks
- The criminal background check policy and teacher certification requirements are posted online.
- Budgets are not archived for the past three years.
The Seattle Board of Directors is made up of 7 members who are elected to four year terms. The Board is responsible for overseeing the superintendent, budgeting, enacting policy, and acting as community representatives.
|District I, Sharon Peaslee|
|District II, Sherry Carr|
|District III, Harium Martin-Morris|
|District IV, Michael DeBell|
|District V, Kay Smith-Blum|
|District VI, Marty McLaren|
|District VII, Betty Patu|
The current Collective Bargaining Agreement between Seattle Public Schools and the Seattle Education Association for Certificated Non-Supervisory Employees runs from 2010-2013. The 2011-2012 salary schedule can be found on the Seattle Education Association website here.
The last day for current Interim Superintendent Dr. Susan Enfield is June 20, 2012. The Board of Directors selected current Anaheim School District Superintendent Jose Banda after the other two finalists for the job, Sandra Husk and Steve Enoch, dropped out of contention.
Former Superintendent Maria Goodloe-Johnson was fired without cause in March of 2011 after nearly four years as superintendent after a state audit found that the district spent $1.5 million on services with questionable purpose and $280,000 on services it never received and gave benefit to a private company.
Teachers for Seattle Public Schools are represented by the Seattle Education Association. The SEA website has salary schedules and collective bargaining agreements posted along with action and priorities on education issues including: advanced learning, closing the achievement gap, commercialism in schools, NCLB, and WASL.
The Seattle Public School budget for 2011-2012 needed $45.5 million in cuts or savings to be balanced following a 2010-2011 budget with $34 million in cuts. The 2011-2012 general fund is $577.7 million and the table below outlines the funding sources for the budget.
The district posts scorecards for each year that outline academic performance. For 2010-2011, the district did not make AYP with only 36.2% of schools making AYP. The 2010-2011 district scorecard can be found here. Scores by individuals schools are also provided.
|10th Grade||80.3%||See EOC below||85.0%||52.7%|
- ↑ The Seattle Times "Seattle schools plan one-day shutdown to help absorb state budget cuts" July 21, 2011
- ↑ Budgets, Accessed: Jan. 2, 2012
- ↑ Seattle Public Schools, Staff Directory, Accessed: December 24, 2012
- ↑ Seattle Public Schools, Elected Officials, Accessed: December 24, 2012
- ↑ Seattle Public Schools, Meeting Minutes and Agendas, Accessed: December 24, 2012
- ↑ Seattle Public Schools, Meeting Calendar, Accessed: December 24, 2012
- ↑ Seattle Public Schools, Meeting Video, Accessed: December 24, 2012
- ↑ Seattle Public Schools, Audits, Accessed: December 24, 2012
- ↑ Seattle Public Schools, Collective Bargaining Agreements, Accessed: December 24, 2012
- ↑ Seattle Public Schools, Bids, Accessed: December 24, 2012
- ↑ Seattle Public Schools, Awarded Bids, Accessed: December 24, 2012
- ↑ Seattle Public Schools, Public Records, Accessed: December 24, 2012
- ↑ Seattle Public Schools, Tax Levy, Accessed: December 24, 2012
- ↑ Seattle Public Schools, District Scorecards, Accessed: December 24, 2012
- ↑ Seattle Public Schools, Background Checks, Accessed: December 24, 2012
- ↑ School Board
- ↑ 2010-2013 CBA
- ↑ "KOMONEWS" Enfield: 'It's been a very full three years for me in Seattle', Accessed June 19, 2012
- ↑ "Newport Beach Patch" Opinion: Choosing a Superintendent; You Think We Have Problems, Accessed June 19, 2012
- ↑ "Seattle Weekly" Maria Goodloe-Johnson's Firing Is Two Years Late; Will School Board Please Fire Itself, too?, Accessed June 19, 2012
- ↑ 2011-2012 Budget
- ↑ 2010-2011 Report Card